We encourage cosplay, DIY costumes, LARPing, and generally having fun at Maker Faire in the spirit of Making. Do you know that we support cosplay and LARPing so much that this year the Maker Faire and Maker Share teams are introducing the 1st Annual Prop Contest!.
Simulated or costume weapons are allowed as a part of your costume, subject to prior approval by security and compliance with the following:
- All costume props and weapons must be inspected at the Maker Service Center East Gate and Northwest Gate (NOT South Gate).
- Costumes that may be confused with local law enforcement or other Emergency Response Personnel uniforms are not permitted at the event.
- All costume props and weapons must conform to state and federal law.
- Projectile costume props and weapons must be rendered inoperable.
- Costumes featuring stilts must be approved at the Costume Props Gate.
- Oversized costumes might be redirected by Faire Staff due to crowds.
- After your costume props have been checked at Maker Service Center, they will be tagged by security, and you will be given a wristband to wear to designate that your props have been checked.
Regardless of the above guidelines, Maker Faire staff shall retain the final and ultimate right of refusal for any costume, prop, or weapon. Please use common sense—don't impair the ability of others to enjoy the event. If you are unwilling to comply with these policies and go through our inspection procedure. Please do not bring your costume props to Maker Faire. Please remember that this is a family friendly event, and at Maker Faire we thrive to have all participants enjoy it.
If you have any question and would like to not be turned away at the gate, please email photos of your costume and props to email@example.com.